Collect the following data by conducting individual interviews and observations among a representative sample of your target group members:
RECOMMENDED SURVEY QUESTIONS:
Q1: Can you please show me where you and your family members usually wash your hands?
(instruction for data collector: go and observe the place)
A1 based on your observation please select one:
1) no specific handwashing facility available
2) the respondent refused to show the place
3) tippy-tap available
4) bucket with tap available
5) jug available
6) basin available
7) sink available
8) other – specify: ………………..
If a specific place is shown, the data collector needs to observe and record the following:
Q2 for data collector: Is there water readily available?
A2: yes / no
Q3 for data collector: Is there soap readily available?
A3: yes / no
Ask the following question only if the previous answer is NO:
Q4: Do you have any soap that you use for washing hands?
A4: yes / no
Ask the following question only if the previous answer is YES:
Q5: Can I please see the soap?
A5 Select one of the following:
1) soap was reported and was brought in less than 1 minute
2) soap was reported, is available but took longer than 1 minute to bring
3) soap was reported but is NOT available
To calculate the indicator's value, divide the number of respondents whose household has a handwashing facility with water and soap (or can bring soap within 1 minute) by the total number of interviewed respondents. Multiply the result by 100 to convert it to a percentage.