1) It is very likely that even people responsible for the operation and maintenance of the water points might not correctly remember the total number of days in which the water point did not work in the past 6 months. Therefore, encourage and support them to keep simple written records of when the water points did not work and why – if well recorded, this data will be much more precise than relying on what people recall. The only time this approach might not be suitable is when collecting baseline data, as the written records might not be available (as no one asked for them sufficientyl in advance).
2) For programming purposes, it is recommended that you also assess how many times the water point did not work in the past 6 months. This is important because the solutions for a series of varied breakdowns (e.g. each breakdown lasting just a few days) are likely be different from if water points were dysfunctional for a single reason over the entire length of time quoted (e.g. no spare parts, no fuel, access hampered, etc.).
3) For programming purposes, consider assessing why the water point did not work. You can do so by asking the following questions:
Q3: What were the main technical reasons why the water point did not provide water in the past 6 months?
A3: (multiple answers possible)
1) lifting apparatus did not work
2) a part of the pump or tap was damaged or stolen
3) power source (generator, electricity grid) stopped working
4) water management committee did not work properly (specify: …….)
5) the pipeline was broken
6) the source dried up for good
7) the source dried up seasonally
8) other – specify: ………………………………
9) does not know
Q4: What were the main reasons why this problem was not addressed?
A4: (multiple answers possible)
1) the person / group responsible for repairs did not have the required spare parts
2) the shops in the area did not sell (or could not order) the required spare parts
2) lack of money to buy spare parts
3) lack of skills / knowledge for the required repairs
4) the breakdown could not be fixed by the community members and we had to wait for the agency responsible to come and repair it
5) other – specify: ……………………..