Satisfaction with Economic Situation
English: % of the target group members reporting being satisfied with their economic situation
Français: to be added later
Español: to be added later
Português: to be added later
What is its purpose?
This indicator measures the extent to which the target group members report being satisfied with their overall economic situation. Compared to other indicators that assess people’s economic status based on income or asset-related data, this indicator measures their situation based on their subjective perception.
How to Collect and Analyse the Required Data
Collect the following data by conducting individual interviews with a representative sample of the target group members:
RECOMMENDED SURVEY QUESTION (Q) AND POSSIBLE ANSWERS (A)
Q1: Can you please show me on this scale the extent to which you are currently satisfied with your own personal economic situation? Please feel free to give me an honest answer, according to your true feelings. [Show the scale provided at the bottom of this page and explain what each face means – very satisfied / quite satisfied / not very satisfied / very dissatisfied].
1) Very satisfied (happiest face)
2) Quite satisfied
3) Vot very satisfied
4) Very dissatisfied (saddest face)
5) No response
To calculate the indicator's value:
- Count the total number of respondents who are very satisfied or quite satisfied with their current economic situation
- Divide this number by the total number of respondents (exclude those who did not answer)
- Multiply the result by 100 to convert it to a percentage
Disaggregate the data by gender and other criteria relevant to the content and focus of the project.
1) Ensure that all of your data collectors explain the meaning of the scale in the same way, for example: "The happiest face means that you are very satisfied with your current economic situation. The face with the smaller smile means that you are quite satisfied with ...". Let each data collector practice and ask others to observe whether s/he is explaining the scale correctly.
2) This indicator focuses on individuals’ economic situations. If you are interested in measuring satisfaction with a household’s economic situation, rephrase the survey question to: Can you please show me on this scale the extent to which you are currently satisfied with the economic situation of your household? Be aware that different household members might have different levels of satisfaction with the economic situation of their household. Therefore, the baseline and endline data should always be collected from the same type of respondents (e.g. heads of households only or women only).