Collect the following data by conducting individual interviews and observations among the representatives of a representative sample of your target households:
RECOMMENDED SURVEY QUESTIONS (Q) AND POSSIBLE ANSWERS (A)
Q1: Where do you and your family members defecate when you are at home?
A1 Select one of the following:
1) use pit latrine with slab
2) use ventilated improved pit latrine
3) use flush or pour toilet (connected to a sewer system or septic tank)
4) use composting toilet
5) defecate in the open
6) use pit latrine without slab
7) use bucket
8) other - specify: ...........................
(ask the following questions only if the previous response is 1, 2, 3 or 4)
Q2: Can you please show me the latrine?
A2 Select one of the following:
1) latrine was shown
2) latrine was not shown
Q3 for data collector: Does the latrine show visible signs of being used?
A3 Select one of the following:
1) latrine IS likely to be used
2) latrine is NOT likely to be used
Q4: Does the latrine has a washable slab?
A4: yes / no
Q5: Does the superstructure provide the user with sufficient privacy?
A5: yes / no
Q6: How many households use this latrine?
A6 Select one of the following:
1) only the respondent's household
2) two or more households
NOTE: A household is using "improved sanitation facility" only if:
- The answer to Q1 is 1, 2, 3 or 4 (or other pre-approved option)
- The data collector confirms that the latrine has signs of being used
- The latrine has a washable slab
- The latrine’s superstructure provides the user with sufficient privacy
Calculate number of households using an improved sanitation facility which is not shared with other households. In the context of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), this situation is described as people using “basic sanitation services” (learn more in chapter 2.2 of the document provided at the bottom of this page).
To calculate the indicator's value, divide the number of households using “basic sanitation services” by the total number of respondents. Multiply the result by 100 to convert it to a percentage.