Actual Number of Direct Beneficiaries
English: number of people directly supported through WASH programming
Français: to be added later
Español: to be added later
Português: to be added later
What is its purpose?
The indicator measures the number of people who were actually reached by the project’s water, sanitation and hygiene-related programming (i.e. the direct beneficiaries). This indicator shows the scale of the provided assistance.
How to Collect and Analyse the Required Data
Determine the indicator’s value by reviewing the following sources:
- Regular project reports (e.g. reports to a donor)
- Monitoring data (e.g. distribution lists, attendance lists, post-distribution surveys)
- Results of KAP surveys
The indicator’s value includes all the people who received at least two of the following three types of support provided by the project:
- Improved access to safe water
- Better access to improved sanitation
- Improved hygiene facilities / improved hygiene practices
Do not automatically use the originally planned number of direct beneficiaries – use the number of people who were actually reached by at least two types of the above listed support in the course of the project.
Disaggregate the data by gender and the type of support people received.
1) Ensure that you avoid double counting – always count the same people only once, irrespective of how many types of support they received.
2) Do not include in the calculation the number of indirect beneficiaries – focus only on those who directly received support as a result of the project activities.